VEGAN CASHEW BUTTER BUCKEYE BROWNIES
Recipe by Flora & Vino
Three layer vegan cashew butter buckeye brownies that are vegan, grain-free, and refined sugar-free with almond flour, cashew butter, and dark chocolate.
- 2 flax eggs (2 TBSP ground flaxseed + 5 TBSP filtered water)
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup roasted cashew butter
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup (1 bag) of Hu Kitchen Baking Gems
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix up your flax eggs by adding ground flaxseed and filtered water and whisking with a fork to combine. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Next, to the same bowl, add in the coconut sugar, maple syrup, and cashew butter and mix well to combine.
- Sift in the baking powder, unsweetened cacao powder, and almond flour and mix well until there are no clumps.
- Add brownie batter to the baking dish and spread into an even layer with a spatula.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes, until the brownies start to pull from the edges. NOTE: Brownies will look under-done when first removed from the oven. This is OK and desirable. Do not over-bake brownies!
- While the brownies are baking, mix up your “buckeye” layer by adding cashew butter and maple syrup to a small bowl. Mix well with a spatula until you have a thick sticky spread.
- When the brownies are done baking, remove from the oven and spread the cashew butter maple mixture on top of the warm brownies in an even layer. If you have trouble spreading, allow the cashew butter spread to sit on top of the warm brownies in a ball for a few minutes before spreading with a knife or spatula. This will warm the cashew butter, making it easier to manipulate. Set brownie pan to the side and allow to cool briefly while you prepare the chocolate later.
- To make the chocolate layer, add chocolate to a saucepan over low heat. Heat until fully melted, watching closely and stirring often to prevent the chocolate from scorching. When the chocolate is fully melted, remove from heat and stir in almond milk. The almond milk will thicken the chocolate slightly, creating a chocolate ganache spread.
- Spread the chocolate ganache over the cashew butter “buckeye” layer evenly with a spatula. Transfer brownie pan to the freezer for 20-30 minutes to set.
- Remove pan from the freezer and slice into squares and serve immediately. Store leftover Cashew Butter Brownie Buckeyes in the fridge for up to one week and freeze for longterm storage.
Dec 04, 2019
Posted by Hu Kitchen