PALEO PEPPERMINT MOCHA DONUTS
These baked donuts are double chocolatey with a hint of peppermint and an aftertaste of coffee to give you that delicious holiday bite! They are grain free, dairy free and refined sugar free. And topped with a chopped Hu Crunchy Mint Chocolate bar.
- 3/4 cup of almond flour
- 1/4 cup of cassava flour
- 1/3 cup of cacao powder
- 1/3 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp of instant coffee granules
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp of plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract (or 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil)
- 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil or melted vegan butter
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature (aquafaba eggs for vegan)
- 1/2 cup of Hu Dark Chocolate Gems
- 1 tsp of refined coconut oil
- Optional: 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract
- 1/2 Hu Crunchy Mint Dark Chocolate Bar, chopped
- Prepare your donut pan by spraying it with cooking spray, I prefer coconut oil. Spray well so the donuts will not stick. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and combine well. In large bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, peppermint extract, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar. It is important all your ingredients are at room temperature, or the coconut oil will harden and clump.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until a smooth batter forms. You can either pipe the batter into the pans or spoon into the pans. You can pipe them in with a bag, by putting the batter into the bag and cutting off the corner. Squeeze the batter in a circle around the pan cavities in one layer. Or carefully spoon the batter in. The donuts should be 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes in oven, until tops just crack and centers are firm. You can use a toothpick to test.
- Let donuts rest in the pan for 5 minutes, and then flip the pan over to release the donuts. If they don’t release, run a knife around the edges to loosen them up. Place on a cooling rack until they are completely cooled.
- Prepare your glaze. In a small microwave safe bowl, heat the Hu Kitchen Gems with the coconut oil in 30 second increments, taking it out to stir until just melted together. Be careful not to overheat. This can also be done on the stovetop. If making your glaze will peppermint, add that in now and stir until combined.
- Dip your donuts face down into the chocolate until they are about 1/2 covered, and lay back on the cooling rack, or on a piece of parchment or wax paper. Repeat until all donuts are dipped.
- Now you can crush up 1/2 of the Hu Kitchen Mint Chocolate Bar for an extra layer of chocolate and mint and sprinkle on top of the donuts.
- Wait for the chocolate to set, and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days on the counter, and then in fridge for another 7 days. These freeze well, too. Wrap tightly in non-BPA plastic and then in a freezer safe bag or container.
Dec 18, 2020
Posted by Hu Kitchen